- The main entrance, Gift Shop, Castleyard Cafe and The Key Learning Centre are all fully accessible.
- We have lifts in both the castle* and The Key Learning Centre. Both our lifts have tactile and Braille controls, and voice announcements. The doors are 900mm clear opening, and the internal dimensions are 1360x1360mm.
- All floors of the Prison Wing are accessible by lift*, and information throughout is provided through a mix of displays and multi-media solutions.
- We have accessible toilet facilities equipped with emergency call alarms. These are located in Castleyard Cafe and The Key Learning Centre (left/angled and right hand transfer).
- Throughout the year, we hold many events in the Castleyard which are all accessible to wheelchair users.
- We are unable to offer left luggage facilities due to security reasons and lack of storage space.
Regrettably, due to the historic nature of the building not all areas of the attraction are accessible by wheelchair:
- St George’s Tower (which has 101 steps on a steep, narrow and winding staircase).
- The Mound which has some steep steps and gradients.
- We regret no dogs can be admitted in the castle or on the Mound except for registered assistance dogs. Dogs are permitted in the Castleyard.
- Some of the prison cells which have 620-640mm wide doorways.
Visitors unable to climb St. George’s Tower may wait at the bottom of the tower in the seating area. An interactive touch screen which shows views from St. George’s Tower and the Mound can be used whilst your tour group are in the tower. You will then be able to rejoin your group and continue with your tour throughout the castle.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide wheelchairs for our visitors. There is a shopmobility scheme in Oxford for visitors who wish to hire wheelchairs.
There is no parking available on site although drop off can be permitted via prior arrangement. Details of parking arrangements in Oxford for disabled visitors may be found on the Oxford City Council website.
There are no strobe lighting effects in Oxford Castle & Prison.